Sunday, June 24, 2012



June 24, 2012
Traveling to Memphis...


Gentle Reader,


Yesterday we journeyed from Madisonville, Kentucky to Memphis, Tennessee.  About a 4 hour trek.  We stopped in Eddyville, KY for a bite to eat along the way.  As advertised, they specialize fresh catfish, but we decided to postpose that culinary delight until we actually are in The Delta, where catfish is a downhome specialty.  


The Bluegrass Grill restaurant had a mighty fine collection of ceramic cookie jars on the shelf along the ceiling.  They also had a prominent flyer which let you know costs of various taxidermy procedures.  This reminded me of when my daughter Audrey was an infant with persistent colic, thereby earning her the nickname "Velcro Child."  Seemed that being held by her mama was the only comfort she craved.  I remember her father telling me that if anything happened to me while Audrey was a baby, he was going to have me taxidermied in the nursing position and prop me up in the corner with Audrey cradled in my arms.  Yes.  Really.  





And then we passed nearby tiny Wingo, KY, which had a knee-slapping, ironically hilarious sign posted:  "Congested Area."  


We also passed through a park dedicated to Alex Haley, the author of Roots.  His childhood home is nearby, but it was closed for the day by the time we passed through.  Chicken George is buried there, too.  Perhaps we will stop for a visit on the way home..



Along the way, too, we passed the Steel Magnolia Beauty Parlor, too.


Time to get on the road again, heading for Cleveland.  I'll publish our adventures in Memphis next time I have chance to add another post...

In the meantime, here's wishing you a summer filled with journeys and music that you can tap your toes to...

Namaste,
Marianne

No comments:

Post a Comment